Getting Ready To Buy
Are you ready to build the “American Dream?” Preparing to buy a home can be both exciting and terrifying at the same time. Fortunately, an ERA Show Place Realty agent can lead you in the right direction toward the home for your dreams. You first may want to ask yourself these questions:
- What am I looking for in a new home?
- Do I have enough money to purchase a new home?
- How does my credit look?
You may want to make a list or brainstorm about the features and amenities that you find most appealing in a new home.
Your Next Step, Finding a Realtor
Before you choose a real estate agent, it is important to do your homework on the real estate companies in your area.
- Search the Internet for local real estate companies.
- Review local publications for agent advertisements.
- Call each company to compare commission fees, marketing campaigns and yearly sales volume.
- Talk to your friends and neighbors. 9 times out of 10, someone you know has sold their home and can provide a credible recommendation to point you in the right direction.
When choosing a Realtor, do not be afraid to meet with many different agents. They are, after all, competing for your business. This competition is what makes the real estate industry successful.
Feel free to ask them the following questions:
- How many years of experience do you have in this industry?
- What is your selling experience in my community?
- What professional certifications do you hold (ex. Certified Residential Specialist – CRS)?
- What services will you provide for me as my agent?
- How will you represent me as a buyer?
- Can you provide all the information that I need about homes in the area that fit into my price range?
- What is the fee for your services?
- Can you provide all of the different scenarios with the sale of property I may purchase? (as far as commissions and fees)
- Can you explain the paperwork that I will need to sign?
- What is my contracted timeframe for using you as my agent?
Once you have chosen an agent, it is important to establish specific goals that you would like to meet. It is very important to communicate with your real estate agent and, in turn, that your real estate agent communicates with you.
Starting the Loan Process
It is important as a buyer that you establish some kind of financing before you make any serious home offer. The “pre-approval” process allows lenders to take a look at your finances and credit history in order to make a general assumption about your loan amount.
The pre-approval process is when a lender looks at all of your finances and determines the amount of money you could afford for a mortgage.
In order to get pre-approved for a loan, you need to contact a lender. Your ERA Show Place Realty agent can help you help you find a lender that you feel comfortable with, and that offers programs best-suited to your needs.